At Shelby Paint & Decorating, we’re proud of our reputation as a local, family-owned business. That’s why, even as we’ve grown from one store to three, we’ve stayed in Michigan. And when, more recently, we started our own locally-produced Motor City Paint, we made it exclusively for our Michigan friends and neighbors. Over the decades, we grew our company even as big box stores proliferated the retail landscape.
Today, online giant Amazon is shaking up the landscape and siphoning off millions of local retail dollars with the click of a mouse. Through it all, we stayed true to our mission by offering exceptional, personalized service and selling top-quality products at a fair price.
Being a locally-owned company is good for our business, good for our customers and good for the local economy.
Today, buying local isn’t a slogan. It’s a movement. Socially conscious consumers are choosing to do business with small-scale, locally-owned companies. Companies like ours create a community that is unique, entrepreneurial, prosperous and better connected. Many studies show the benefits of shopping local. Here are just a few of them.
- ECONOMIC RETURNS – If you spend $100 at a local business, roughly $68 stays in your local economy. If you spend the same are a large business, only $43 stays in the local economy. This is a $25 advantage for local communities! More money staying in the community is an investment in things that matter, like infrastructure, schools and social services.
Our goal at Shelby Paint is to increase the amount of money that stays in our local economy and squeeze the amount leaving to as little as possible. We will do that by partnering with other Michigan companies starting with our own brand of paint:
- Motor City Paint (Lansing)
- O’Leary Paint (Lansing)
- Wise Owl Chalk Synthesis Paint (Howell)
- Michigan Ladder (Ypsilanti)
- Great Lakes Chemicals (Portage)
- JOB CREATION – Studies show that locally-owned businesses employ more people per unit of sales, and retain more employees during an economic downturn, while big-box retailers decrease the number of retail jobs in a region. In a local Michigan economy that has experienced its fair share of ups and downs, jobs matter.
- WAGES & BENEFITS – Along with jobs, studies show that local businesses are often linked to higher income growth and lower levels of poverty, while big-box retailers depress wages and benefits for retail employees.
- PERSONALIZED SERVICE – At a big box store, you are simply a customer. You find what you need and they make the sale at a cash register. At the end of the day, you become a sales statistic. At a locally-owned business, you are a neighbor, not a statistic. The rapport that grows over time as the staff gets to know you and your needs often results in increased personalized customer service that often results in the local business anticipating your needs. Your purchases and your opinions influence the product options and services offered when you shop locally.
- COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT – Locally-owned businesses contribute more to local charities and fundraisers than national companies. Shelby Paint & Decorating’s newest initiative is our partnership with the Detroit Historical Society. We are donating 10% of net sales of Motor City Paint to the DHS. We also donate paint to Motor City Blight Busters.
- REDUCE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT – Locally-owned businesses are more likely to purchase goods locally which requires less transportation. This reduces traffic congestion and fuel emissions that contribute to air pollution.
- UNIQUE COMMUNITIES – Local businesses keep communities alive by creating a distinctive character that feels like home. Where we eat, shop and have fun creates a community’s self-image that is a reflection of the people who live there. It is the local businesses that define what makes a community unique.
At Shelby Paint & Decorating, we believe in the power of our local communities. We appreciate the many customers we’ve had over the years and the friendships created. We are proud of our professionally-trained staff and the service they provide to our customers.
If you are already a customer, we thank you for your patronage. And, if you are new to Shelby Paint & Decorating, we invite you to visit any one of our three stores in Shelby Township, Rochester Hills or Grosse Pointe and find out how easy it is to shop local.